We weren’t really “officially” looking for a new place to live. We had sort of discussed it, but more in a “we should probably start looking for a new place” kind of way. I just happened to be looking at Craigslist when I supposed to be trying to figure out how much it would cost to have the septic tank drained at the old house and ran across the ad for our new house. It was cheaper and smaller and so I decided to make the call.
Then, we were going to “just look to get an idea.” We weren’t actually going to move. But, on the day of our appointment, something else made us mad about the old house. I think it may have been the sound of mice running through the walls.
When we looked at our new house, we really liked it, but we still were not sure we wanted to move. We knew that in order to move without having to pay
rent on two places, we only had 10 days to be completely moved out. After debating it for 24 hours, we made the final decision when the landlord called to offer us the house. We signed the lease and then the fun began.
I began packing that afternoon, and got all of my books packed up (no small feat, I have a ton of books.) But, I wasn’t feeling quite right. Everything was taking entirely too long and I felt simply run down and exhausted. I chalked it up to panic and the fact that I needed a good night’s sleep.
The next day, I was feeling worse. We had some errands to run, and it was completely horrible. I was feverish, half out of it and achy. I tried to do more packing but it just wasn’t happening. By the third day, I was full-blown sick. I ended up in the emergency room with strep throat, dehydration and bronchitis. I spent 6 hours getting fluids, two antibiotics and a course of steroids.
The next day was Saturday — exactly 7 days until the day of the move. I didn’t have time to be sick so I took my medicine and started packing up the house. For the next 5 days, I packed from the time I woke up to the time I went to bed. Steve spent the week making hundreds of phone calls.
Thursday, was our trick or treat night. It was cold and raining, but we decided to go anyway. As we were leaving, Steve got a phone call. His cousin was coming the next day to move us. A full day earlier than planned. So, I stayed up late and got the rest of the packing done. Between the cold, rainy weather and the late night, my bronchitis kicked up full force.
On Friday, we moved as much of our stuff as we could. My chest felt like it was on fire, but we kept going. We didn’t even give up when it took over two hours to get our sofa into the house. (We will not be moving the sofa back out of this house.)
Saturday brought a rather unexpected snow storm. We couldn’t move anything. Instead, we spent the day putting our stuff away and trying to make room for the last push. I was exhausted and sick but I kept at it.
Sunday was the final day of moving. It was cold and my chest felt like someone was sitting on it, but I had to keep moving. I would have much rather spent the day in bed with a heating pad. By the end of the day, I couldn’t stop coughing and I felt like death warmed over.
Even though it seemed like everything that could go wrong, did, we actually did get out of our old house and into our new house in 10 days. Needless to say, unpacking and organizing is slow going. My sister and I got a lot done on Saturday. The main furniture is in the right places. My kitchen is done. But, the rest of the house is a work in progress. I will get everything done at some point, it is just going to take a bit longer than anticipated.
Today I actually spent most of the day sitting in a chair. I can’t stop coughing and my chest is still on fire. I need a few days of rest and TLC before I am back to my 100% self. Until then, I’m going to do what I can and forgive myself for the rest.